This comes as the two Movement for Democratic Change (MDC) formations are snubbing participation in the new government following Monday’s deadlock in Sandton, Johannesburg. President Robert Mugabe came back for further consultations with his party’s top decision making body – the politburo.
They will now deliberate on the implications of proceeding with or without Morgan Tsvangirai. Earlier this week, the ruling party said cabinet would be formed soon, as recommended by SADC.
An invitation was extended to both MDC formations to forward names of ministers. However, both opposition parties say they will not until there is consensus on the power sharing deal.
MDC faction leader Arthur Mutambara says they will not participate in such a cabinet. "The only cabinet our party will be part of is an all inclusive one that has Tsvangirai, Mugabe and ourselves. Anything less, we will not accept."
Mutambara urged SADC to continue its mediation efforts. On Friday, Tsvangirai’s MDC formation is set to hold its National Executive Council meeting to come up with a position over the imminent cabinet.