From Mudzumwe’s home, the thugs went to Hillside residential area where they took away Masvingo provincial chairman Robson Mashiri’s Madza B 18.
Mudzumwe who was in Harare when his homestead was being raided said he had to make an urgent trip to Masvingo to rescue his family only to arrive and get the information that the thugs who left Masvingo using Bulawayo highway told his wife that they were acting on instructions by the new national executive under Welshman Ncube.
“I was shocked when I received the news that my family was under fire. My four year old daughter and 12 year old son were the most endangered because they are not able to defend themselves. I left Harare only to arrive at home and get the information that the thugs claimed that they were sent by the ‘new executive’.
“I am really worried because it seems our opponents have ceased thinking and they are now after using psychical power to abuse our loved ones. My children were all crying, when I arrived at home,” said Mudzumwe.
Mashiri said the real fight between the two existing factions in MDC-M ‘has begun’.
“I was also not at home when they arrived and took away my car. As I am speaking they are towing our cars towards Bulawayo. It seems the fight has become more tribal than political. All the people who ambushed my house were Ndebele speaking,” said Mashiri.
Mashiri said they were going to engage their lawyers and claim their properties back.
“We shall not sit and relax, we will fight back. It’s a pity that we did not know the real Welsh (Ncube) when we dumped Tsvangirai. Its like dumping light and prefer to follow darkness, we regret today,” Mashiri lamented.
Efforts to get comment from Ncube were fruitless.
However, Mudzumwe reiterated that they will continue to have Mutambara as their party president.
Meanwhile, Ncube, on Friday rejected a report in the Zimbabwe Independent claiming that he had described South African President Jacob Zuma’s mediation efforts in Zimbabwe as disgraceful.
Ncube is quoted in his loyal website New Zimbabwe : "Anyone who knows me would not associate that type of language with me, even if I were talking about Robert Mugabe."
This was in response to a lead story in the Zimbabwe Independent which says that Ncube had said on Twitter : "South Africa’s conduct in respect to Zimbabwe is nothing short of disgraceful. South Africa rather than SADC should be blamed for the Zimbabwe crisis."
According to the Independent Ncube had confirmed the posting when contacted by phone last week. Ncube’s son Wesley is married to President Zuma’s daughter Gugulethu which should make for interesting conversation at family functions.
South Africa has in the past been accused by analysts in Zimbabwe, and among the international community, of favouring the Zimbabwe African National Union – Patriotic Front.
This however was usually aimed at former President Thabo Mbeki rather than President Zuma.
The President and the ANC had even taken ANC Youth League leader Julius Malema to task for comments he had made while in Zimbabwe which could give the impression that the government is biased towards any party.
Today media reports claim that Mbeki has been implicated in the vote rigging that kept Zimbabwe’s President Robert Mugabe in power after losing first round presidential polls in 2008.
It says that the allegations are being made by London-based think-tank Africa Confidential, who say that former opposition MDC-T leader Morgan Tsvangirai “clearly beat Mugabe” in the first round of voting in March 2008 but was denied power after a plan to steal some of his votes allegedly hatched by Zanu (PF) military junta in connivance with South African officials.
Undoubtedly President Mbeki will take great umbrage at the allegations being made in that article.
What is clear however is that the move towards new elections in Zimbabwe is going to increase tensions in the not too distant future.
If this week’s rhetoric is anything to go by that will be sooner rather than later.