A reliable source within the party here said several senior party members-including Members of Parliament and some politburo members-who publicly said the country was not ready to hold another ballot have been left out from the delegation that will attend the conference.
The source said the issue of Mugabe’s candidature had been dealt with and nobody was going to dispute that. The only hurdle remaining was to decide whether elections were going to be held next year or not.
“Those who were heard to be against elections next year have not been accredited. Several reasons have been cooked up against them, including the fact that their party cards are not paid up, or they are still holding on to old party cards.
“Surprisingly, no subscriptions are being taken now, meaning they cannot get the new cards. This is a strategy by Mugabe to make sure that all those who go there are his ‘yes men and women’ who will not turn down his proposals for elections mid next year,” said the top source.
“For legal reasons, I will not tell you names. But just watch out by Thursday to see who is still in Masvingo or who has not gone there,” he said.
Some disgruntled part members who were left out were seen at the party offices here shouting while others were in a queue which was static for about an hour.
Zanu (PF) provincial chairman, Lovemore Matuke declined to comment on the matter, referring all questions to the party national chairman, Simon Khaya Moyo, who refused to take questions from the media. – Radio VOP