Zimbabwe man killed in horrific hit-and-run in Australia


    The man is a 24-year-old from Maidstone, originally from Zimbabwe.

    He was hit by two cars on Ashley Street near Rupert Street in Braybrook about 1.20am (AEDT) on November 4.

    Members from the Major Collisions Unit are continuing their investigation and anyone who may have witnessed the collision is urged to contact Crime Stoppers.

    Life was coming together for a promising Zimbabwean hip-hop artist living in Melbourne, Australia.
    But last Thursday, it was all over, with his close friend given the grim task of helping to identify his body.

    Slycoh Marowa, who would have celebrated his 26th birthday on November 19, was run over TWICE in the early hours of the morning, leaving police to study footage from closed circuit cameras and friends wondering who could have left the musician dying in the gutter.

    Police have confirmed that he had been run over at 1.20am, and the driver did not stop.

    About 20 minutes later, two men found him on the road and as they called the emergency hotline, 000, a dark-coloured Hyundai ran over him, reversed, stopped, and then drove off.

    John Ndorosey, who had to identify his friend’s body, said Marowa had no enemies.

    ”He was a very humble and positive person and he was also a very hard worker, but he always put others before himself,” he said.

    ”I cannot think of anybody who would have made an enemy of Sly.”

    He left Zimbabwe in 2002 to settle in the United Kingdom before moving to Melbourne in 2006 where he helped set up the Hard Hustle music label with friends from TAFE.

    ”He was a very talented musician, a real performer and composer, who specialised in R&B, dance and reggae, and hip-hop, he just did it all,” said Ndorosey, who was one of the first artists to record on the label.

    His friend, he said, had just released a short version of an album and life looked promising.
    ”Everything was coming together for him, shows were picked up,” he said.
    ”He was great to work with, he was a real motivator, not just as an artist or for the label, but with everybody he met.”

    Marowa sent money back to his family in Zimbabwe when he could, and his mother had recently died after a long illness, Ndorosey said.

    Marowa was engaged in refugee programmes involving African music and culture.
    The family is expected to fly the body back to Zimbabwe for a funeral.
    Police are appealing for any witnesses to come forward.