Here we go again!

\n

The process of choosing a new Zifa board went into motion on Friday with the setting up of an electoral committee and opening of nominations.

\n

Former Labour Court judge, Sello Nare leads an electoral committee that also comprises of former Zifa vice president Tendai Madzorera, Elizabeth Banda, Musekiwa Mbanje, Tichawana Nyahuma, Charles Sibanda and lawyer Tinofara Kudakwashe Hove.

\n

Zifa chief executive Jonathan Mashingaidze, veteran administrator Cornelius Bganya, Zifa life member Passious Masunda and the soccer governing body’s lawyer Ralph Maganga join the committee as ex-officio members.

\n

The committee held its first meeting in Harare last week and announced that nominations would be open from last Friday until November 5.

\n

Elections will be held on December 5 with the Zifa Assembly, that last weekend booted out Cuthbert Dube and his entire board, tasked with choosing a president, vice president and four board members.

\n

The coming to life of the electoral process has seen the chorus that preceded Dube’s demise slowly turning into a dog fight that will most likely turn ugly as December 5 approaches.

\n

Alliances that were formed to get Dube out of the way have crumbled as several names are being thrown around while compromise deals between regions are being mulled.

\n

Premier Soccer League chairman Twine Phiri has gone mum of late but those close to him claim he is interested in the big job after successfully turning around the fortunes of the top flight league.

\n

Phiri, the sources added, is now seeking a “running partner” from the Southern Region and will bring PSL chief executive Kenny Ndebele to 53 Livingstone Avenue in the same capacity should he triumph.

\n

Veteran administrator and Life Long Football Trust leader, Francis Zimunya fought in Trevor Carelse-Juul’s corner during the last Zifa elections and says the former Zifa chief executive is still interested.

\n

Zimunya is willing to subdue his own ambitions in favour of Juul, who lost to Dube by 14 votes to 44 in March last year. “Look no further than Trevor Carelse-Juul. Who else can deliver besides this man? He is known by the electorate because a significant number of councilors voted for him during the last Zifa elections,” he said.

\n

“If it is not someone like Carelse-Juul, then I can be the man to do it. The fact that Juul dragged Dube into a re-run during the previous election shows he is popular, he has the backing of the football fraternity.

\n

“We spoke to him last Saturday night, he was in Johannesburg then and is very much interested. We expect him back home anytime from now.”

\n

There have been calls for former players to step up for the top position with Footballers Union of Zimbabwe president Desmond Maringwa being mentioned as a potential Zifa boss.

\n

However, the former Dynamos skipper says his plate is full.

\n

“I have a big responsibility with FUZ and the Fifpro (International Federation of Professional Footballers) integrity committee where I represent Africa and my term is still running.

\n

“I am fully committed to that and still keen on developing FUZ.

\n

I believe I still have a responsibility to assist the players whole-heartedly and cannot abandon them now,” he said.

\n

With members of Dube’s fired board eligible to contest, former vice president Omega Sibanda and businessman Ben Gwarada have also been “urged to run again by some councilors.”

\n

Zifa Northern Region chairman, Willard Manyengavana and his secretary general Sweeney Mushonga were at the forefront of the ‘Dube must go’ crusade and are rumoured to be also interested in running for office.

\n

Other names that have been mentioned include Methembe Ndlovu, Miriam Sibanda, Nigel Munyati, Henrietta Rushwaya and Caps United owner Farai Jere, among others.

\n

Mashingaidze’s week in hell

\n

Ishemunyoro Chingwere

\n

ZIFA chief executive Jonathan Mashingaidze has described his first week in overall charge of local football as taxing.

\n

Mashingaidze was thrust into the driving seat after the dismissal of Cuthbert Dube and his entire board at an Extraordinary General Meeting in Harare last Saturday.

\n

Though the ambitious Zifa chief executive might have longed for such a situation, he has disclosed that his first seven days at the top have been very demanding.

\n

The Mighty Warriors are in camp for their 2016 Olympic Games qualifier second leg match against Cameroon next weekend while Fifa and CAF are in need of constant updates from Mashingaidze on what is happening with regards to the election road map.

\n

“It has been a very busy week for me with some meetings stretching well into the night,” said Mashingaidze.

\n

“Apart from the national team issues, I have also been working on the elections roadmap. It was basically about making sure the nominations are opened and closed, election material is procured and the electorate formally advised of the date.

\n

“This week was generally to do with laying the ground work to lead us to the elections and I can confirm that yesterday (Thursday) we held our first meeting with the electoral committee.

\n

“Already I have sent out a notice of these (elections) to congress. I have also sent communication to Fifa and CAF in terms of the preparations and I am currently working on obtaining the audited accounts which should put us back in good standing with Fifa.”

\n

Mashingaidze also claimed to have met three “potential partners” who are keen to assist Zifa on national team assignments.

\n

“We have three major assignments this month including the Mighty Warriors against Cameroon (match) on the 18th of October and the Warriors Chan qualifier in Bulawayo.

\n

“So the biggest challenge that I can say I have seen has to do with resources.

\n

There is work in progress on that front but it is premature to start making statements now although we should be in a position to announce something on Monday (tomorrow),” he said.For the first time, Mashingaidze conceded that the secretariat he leads has serious shortcomings.

\n

“There could be gaps here and there (in the secretariat and its competency), typical of any institution, but then the solution would be to have capacity building programs which are related to football.

\n

“The staff at Zifa also has to be remunerated. You will find out that one can come into an organisation with a lot of skills but the moment they face financial problems, they will spend three quarters of their time looking for money to satisfy their needs,” he said.

\n

The Association is broke and workers at 53 Livingstone Avenue are owed thousands of dollars in salaries.