ADDIS ABABA. — The African regional body overseeing the mediations to end South Sudan’s conflict says the two warring sides have violated cease-fire agreements 53 times in 19 months.

East Africa’s Inter-Governmental Authority on Development yesterday attributed 29 violations to South Sudan’s rebels while it said government forces were responsible for no fewer than 24 violations.

Recent violations occurred in Unity state after the signing of a cease-fire agreement on August 26. Fifty-two soldiers and rebels were killed late last month in fighting there, according South Sudan’s army.

South Sudan has been in conflict since December 2013 after President Salva Kiir fired Deputy President Riek Machar. Machar has led rebels against Kiir. Several cease-fires have been signed and quickly broken.

Meanwhile, two humanitarian organisations have closed shop because of renewed violence in South Sudan’s Unity State.

Doctors without Borders (MSF) on Tuesday withdrew its staff from Leer in Unity State after its premises was looted.

The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) had left a day earlier. — AP/Daily Nation.