Last night Peter Storrie the club’s CEO confirmed this to The Zimbabwe Mail and he said he was targeting more of Zimbabwean players following the Benjani success story.
So far just four have arrived in the shape of Aaron Mokoena, Steve Finnan, Frederic Piquionne and Antti Niemi. It has left Paul Hart with a severely depleted squad in terms of numbers.
But Storrie says the club is looking to bring in another four fresh faces over the next two weeks to bring crucial strength in depth to the Blues. One is Anthony Vanden Borre, who was signing today on a year-long loan from Genoa.
‘One should be confirmed and done today and there are another couple – probably not in time for the weekend but the deals are close to completion.
‘At the end of the day, it’s working towards August 31 and that’s the prime thing.
‘There will only be one in in time to face Fulham. Hopefully we are going to try to tidy it up at the weekend or just over the weekend. But obviously we are looking for another centre back and another centre forward and they are what we’ve got in mind at the moment.
‘We have talked to two players and we believe they want to join us. They are currently already with clubs.
‘In total we are probably about four short.’
Meanwhile, Storrie has confirmed Sol Campbell will not be coming back to Fratton Park.
Storrie added: ‘I’m not sure what his future is and where he is going to go.
‘I don’t think it lies here, we’ve made the decision to move on in other ways.
‘Sol did absolutely fantastic for us, it was great having him at the club, he led us through some great times and winning the FA Cup.
Everyone greatly respects him for what he achieved.’