Johannesburg – The father of late Top Billing presenter Simba Mhere has pleaded for justice for his son and his friend, Kady-Shay O’Bryan.

\n

Copy of SS_Simba23230

SIMBA Mhere

\n

 

\n

Joseph Mhere said the twists and turns in the culpable homicide case involving a driver who crashed into his son’s car three months ago were causing him anxiety.

\n

“It is shocking that a case that seems so straightforward has dragged on for this long.

\n

“The only thing we need is to get to the bottom of this. Justice is what we are looking for.”

\n

Mhere, who was a passenger in his son’s car, said he still did not know the identity of the driver of the white Polo who lost control along William Nicol Drive near the N1 and smashed into their car.

\n

What saddened him more was that the case had still not gone to court.

\n

Recalling that fateful morning on January 31, Mhere said he never got see the face of the driver.

\n

He, Simba and O’Bryan were en route to the OR Tambo International Airport at the time. Simba and O’Bryan died instantly.

\n

“I remember hearing a screeching sound followed by a loud bang.

\n

“I felt immense pain in my back. I remained in my seat and did not move.”

\n

He later learnt from a paramedic that Mhere and O’Bryan had passed away.

\n

Now, the family has hired a private investigator to look into the case after they felt sufficient information had not been forthcoming from the police and the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA).

\n

Mhere said that according to a private investigator, the docket had been handed over to the NPA.

\n

But prosecutors told Saturday Star that their investigations were still incomplete.

\n

NPA spokesman Phindi Louw said the authority had not yet made a final decision on the case.

\n

“There are certain investigations that still need to be concluded by the police.”

\n

Police spokesman Lieutenant Kay Makhubela said statements had been taken from witnesses at the accident scene.

\n

He also confirmed that no blood sample was taken from the driver that morning, saying police only did so in cases where they suspected drunken driving.

\n

He added that the driver had not sustained any injuries and was not taken to hospital.

\n

O’Bryan’s mother, Megan Byrne, declined to comment on the case, saying only that both families were being constantly updated by their attorney.

\n

Meanwhile, both families are still grappling to come to terms with their loss.

\n

Mhere said his son’s death had been traumatic for the family.

\n

His wife Angela was struggling to cope.

\n

“There isn’t a day that goes by that we don’t think about him. Friends call us to talk about him. His mother is battling,” he said.

\n

noni.mokati@inl.co.za

\n

Saturday Star