Takudzwa Chitsiga Sports Reporter
THE second edition of the Arenel Wimbledon Harare Junior Open was officially launched in the capital yesterday ahead of the start of the competition today. The annual tournament is organised under the banner of the Harare Metropolitan Tennis Board and will run from today until Sunday at Harare Sports Club.
Arenel divisional managing director, Ray Mhangwa, said they were happy to continue partnering the youth and the Harare Metropolitan Tennis Board in their efforts to develop tennis in Harare and Zimbabwe.
“We are very excited to partner the Harare Metropolitan Tennis Board in their efforts to develop tennis in Harare and Zimbabwe.
“Through our Wimbledon biscuit brand, we will continue with the the sponsorship package for the Harare Junior tournament.
“We are committed to the development of local tennis and to show how committed we are, we have managed to stage the event for the second year after we signed a five-year agreement with the Harare Metropolitan Tennis Board last year.
“It is our hope that a tournament of this nature will be able to bring out world-class players who can even go on to shine and raise the country’s flag high.”
Harare Metropolitan Tennis Board vice chairman, Collin Mahere, said the partnership will add value to the development of local tennis.
“We are excited and we feel proud to be associated with Arenel for the second year running. In recent times, tennis had lost its glamour.
“When we got a partner like Arenel, who are continuing to support us through paying expenses, we feel extremely happy.
“This sponsorship will help us implement our development plans,” said Mahere.
The Arenel Wimbledon Harare Junior Tennis Open is open to male and female players aged below 18, and athletes are expected to compete in three main categories, Under-18, Under-14 and Under-12.
Budding tennis players below the age of 10 are also expected to participate in the tournament.