Afrophobia: Nigeria starts evacuation of citizens from South Africa

\n

\n

The Goodluck Jonathan-government has approved the evacuation of Nigerians from South Africa as xenophobic attacks linger.

\n

The Nigerian Commission in South Africa commenced the evacuation of Nigerians, Monday, in a bid to save them from the spread of the attack.

\n

\n

Following xenophobic attacks by South Africans against foreigners, particularly those of African descent, Nigerians have been counting their losses with the Nigerian Consul-General, Ambassador Uche Ajulu-Okeke saying the loss by Nigerians included looted shops, burnt shops, two burnt mechanic workshops, 11 burnt cars and two stolen cars, among others.

\n

Speaking with News Agency of Nigeria, NAN on phone, Ambassador Ajulu-Okeke said “Nigerians have compiled damages to their property and it is totalling about 1.2 million Rand or N21 million, which will be sent to the Federal Government for further action”

\n

She said that in Durban, two of the three Nigerians who were wounded during attacks had been treated and discharged from the hospital.

\n

The consul-general said that she would go back to Durban to assess the situation on ground and meet with the provincial authority on security of Nigerians in that Province.

\n

“The Nigerian mission in South Africa is on top of the situation. We are working hard to protect Nigerians in South Africa.

\n

“Though, the task has not been easy, we are trying our best. In one of the hot spots at Jeppe, near Johannesburg, the mission assisted about 50 stranded Nigerians to re-settle.

\n

“I have also visited the site of the attacks in Johannesburg to assess the damage and it was enormous,” she said.

\n

She said the Nigerian mission would meet with all Nigerian Union chapters in the nine provinces of South Africa to find strategies on how to check the attacks.

\n

“I am bringing all Nigerians together so that we work out a vigilance and alert mechanism; they will also tell me what their challenges and issues are,” she said.

\n

Okeke said the mission and the Nigerian Union had been working cordially to meet the challenges caused by the xenophobic attacks on Nigerians. – Vanguard News Nigeria

\n