Kiglon Stun Caps United

The last time Caps United were top of the log was in 2005 when they won the league. Yesterday the green machine had a terrible first half in which they were completely outclassed.

It therefore came as no surprise when they conceded a goal in the 35th minute from the boot of a player that they loaned to Kiglon, Marlon Tarusarira.

It was not a classy goal but it summed up a bad afternoon for Caps United. Usually reliable defender Danger Fourpence headed weakly towards his keeper in what was meant to be a pass but an alert speedy Tarusarira read his thoughts and capitalised by latching onto the ball before goalkeeper Edmore Sibanda could get to it.

Kiglon’s coach Takaendesa Jongwe was full of praise after the game: “We did well. In previous matches it has been a case of being unlucky. All my players played with passion and conviction. It was a good afternoon for us.”

The Caps United bench looked in disbelief as referee Kennias Marange blew to end the match. Supporters felt that their strikers Leornard Tsipa and Nyasha Mushekwe let the team down.

But it was clear that when star playmaker, Tafadzwa Rusike who is usually there to provide or score goals, started badly by giving away possession and poor passing. The green machine was always going to have a long afternoon.

As early as the fifth minute Kiglon’s’ hard-running winger Trymore Chisango and Isaac Pitamuja were having fun roasting Caps United’s rearguard and taking shots at goal.

Mushekwi, who looked lost the whole game, had a clear chance to give Caps United a head start after a solo run in the 30th minute in which he only had goalkeeper Ronald Mudimu to beat but had his weak shot saved.

Eight minutes later Rusike also tried from outside of the box but Mudimu had no problem saving the ball. It was to be Rusike’s last contribution and he was replaced by Marvel Samaneka who also did nothing to turn around Makepekepe’s form. Rusike looked as if he picked up an injury as he limped out of the match.

After half time Kiglon continued to dominate the game with pace and quality interplay that had fans on the Vietnam stand, a Dynamos supporters’ bay, singing and dancing.

The Green machine’s talisman Method Mwanjali struggled with his game and the captain of the day Ashley Rambanepasi just failed to click.

Jongwe figures that was Makepekepe’s Achilles Heel: “We never allowed their midfield to play. There, you can see is where the battle was fought and won. We unsettled their strongest department and we won.”

Even coach Lloyd Chitembwe’s introduction of Clive Mwale a striker for George Karimupfupi a defender did not produce the desired results. Instead the strikers spent the whole second half running into each other.

Meanwhile Njube Sundowns were clobbered 4-0 by Gunners at Pelandaba Stadium. In another match at White City in Bulawayo, Bantu Rovers prevailed 2-0 over Underhill.