Trimmed-down Mozambique cabinet sworn in

Maputo – Mozambique’s new president, Filipe Nyusi, swore in Monday a trimmed-down cabinet, saying it would focus on the fight against corruption.

\n

iol newspic Moz new president

\n

The number of ministries was reduced from 27 to 22 to cut costs, Nyusi said.

\n

Carlos Agostinho do Rosario, a former agriculture minister and ambassador to Indonesia, will serve as prime minister. Foreign Minister Oldemiro Baloi retained his post.

\n

Two ministries which had been criticized for corruption and poor performance, environment and tourism, were merged with other ministries.

\n

Nyusi’s party Frelimo, which has governed the southern African country since independence from Portugal in 1975, beat its historic opponent Renamo in the October 15 elections.

\n

Renamo had previously carried out a two-year campaign of highway ambushes and attacks against police stations.

\n

Renamo spokesman Antonio Muchanga said the party was disappointed that Nyusi did not appoint any opposition representatives to his cabinet.

\n

Renamo leader Afonso Dhlakama has threatened to set up his own government in those northern and central provinces where he won the majority of the vote in the elections.