The National Working Committee (NWC) has also thrown its weight behind its Deputy Kgalema Motlanthe. The ANC Youth League (ANCYL) last week launched a blistering public attack on Motlanthe. It said Motlanthe continued to attack its leadership without a mandate from the ANC.
Next Friday, Zuma will know his fate. The Pietermaritzburg High Court will rule whether the National Prosecuting Authority’s decision to prosecute him is unlawful or not. But the ruling party believes its President’s rights have been violated and his dignity impaired.
"Our wish and the ideal situation will be charges to be dropped but … we respect the judiciary. The President has been treated unfairly and it is not in the interest of the country for the case to continue," says ANC spokesperson Jessie Duarte.
The NWC’s call follows a proposal by, among others, Cosatu, the SACP and Business Unity South Africa, for a political solution.
The public spat between the party’s number two, Motlanthe, and the ANC Youth League was also discussed by the party’s top officials. "We agreed that the Deputy President was unfairly accused and that internal means should be used to resolve the issues,” says Duarte.
Cosatu’s central committee meeting is also deliberating the Zuma issue. – SABCNEWS