ANC stands by Zuma despite court set-back

PRETORIA – Jacob Zuma remains the African National Congress's choice for president of the republic, the ruling party said on Monday after a Supreme Court of Appeal ruling opened the way for Zuma to be recharged.

"The ANC reiterates its position that the judgment will not affect the decision of the ANC that Zuma be the ANC’s presidential candidate for the 2009 elections," it said in a statement.

The statement was issued minutes after the SCA upheld an appeal by the National Director of Public Prosecutions against a High Court ruling that halted the prosecution of the party’s president.

The ruling means that Zuma, the frontrunner for the presidency in the upcoming elections, will still have to face corruption charges.

The ANC said it respected the court’s judgment "without reservation".

"It is important to note that this judgment has nothing to do with the guilt or otherwise of the ANC president. Nor does it make any pronouncements on the merits of the charges previously brought by the NPA.

"The ANC and its president reserves the right to pursue all options available in law," the ANC said. – Sapa